Friday, January 6, 2012

"But They're Jewish!"

When I was in college, I had a friend who invited my to an Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity party.  (A E Pi, as it was known, was the on-campus Jewish fraternity.)  As far as I was concerned, frat parties and the AztecQueen do not mix.  I'd heard too many stories of roofie rapes.  However, when I said as much to my friend, she answered, "But you don't understand.  They're Jewish!"
Really.  The last time I checked, circumcision does not affect the hormones.
I've heard many people remark at the criminal sexual behaviors of various ethnicities, but I don't know where that came from.  As Norma Rae put it, "I ain't never had any trouble with black men.  Only trouble I ever had was with white men."  Unfortunately, that extends to Jewish men.  My first date with an Orthodox man, I had to tell him in no uncertain terms that he was going too far.  So much for shomer negia.  Suffice it to say, I never wanted to go out with him again.  Even worse, that wasn't my first problem in that area.  I used to babysit for my cantor's children.  The cantor, who worked as a doctor, was separated from her husband and they split custody of their kids--and my services as babysitter.  One night, her estranged husband made a pass at me in his car with his kids in the back.  I was all of 19.
Yes, I am aware that there are a lot of Jewish men who know how to be gentlemen.  Yes, these poor excuses for men are aberrations.  But, I don't think we should assume that a man's Jewishness will automatically make him a safer, better person.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not Monty Python. I hate SPAM.