- Cigarettes. The effects of both smoking and secondhand smoke are well-known. Besides, doesn't the Torah command us to respect our bodies?
- Driving. Distracted driving can kill.
- Drinking alcohol away from home on Purim. You are likely to get into your car and kill someone.
- Spitting on people. That's just wrong and uncivilized.
- Sheitels. We're the only group that covers our hair and doesn't make it look covered. Besides, they can run to thousands of dollars and look better than what G-d gave you--hardly something that could be considered "modest."
- Crying "anti-Semitism" every time one gets caught flouting the law. Ever hear of the boy who cried wolf?
- Pictures of rabbis. It gets a little close to avodah zarah.
- Shtreimels. Talk about bal taschis. (It's not like you're going to eat the animal that gave its fur)
Friday, January 13, 2012
Instead of banning such things as the Internet and concerts, here are some I could stand behind: