Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Another New Square tragedy

Ahh, New Square.  A place where tolerance reigns supreme.  Sadly, there has been another casualty of this attitude.  A young woman going through a horrific custody battle, who just recently lost her children to her ex-husband, committed suicide.
Sure, one could argue that she may have had a history of depression.  But depression is sometimes a response to circumstance.  In this case, she lost only lost her children, but everyone she knew.  Even her own father testified against her at the custody hearing.  After she lost custody, her children were then turned against her. Her crime?  Leaving the frum world and going OTD. 
Being in the midst of a rather hellish divorce myself, I can sympathize.  I'm not running out on Judaism, but stories like this give me serious pause. 
I thought that Torah made us better people.  Whatever happened to empathy or at least simple compassion?  Whatever happened to supporting your children no matter what?  Whatever happened to understanding the bond between a mother and the children she carried under her heart, and nurtured at great sacrifice?  Hell, whatever happened to honoring your mother and father?  That last one was written in stone by the Hand of G-d, so I'd say it's pretty important.
Deb Tambor, know that your life was not lost in vain.   Rest with G-d.  And know that there are those who loved and supported you.

1 comment:

  1. Well, for people who believe that keeping mitzvos is commanded by God, it would be a tragedy if an OTD daughter turned their grandchildren against the Torah. There are a lot of people, not all extremists, who truly believe that spiritual correctness trumps a human relationship.

    I'm not happy when I hear about people turning on a non-religious family member, but it is worst for people from insular communities who don't have any sympathetic relatives at all.

    ReplyDelete

I'm not Monty Python. I hate SPAM.