Friday, June 15, 2012

The "Vagina Monologue"--Political edition

Recently, a state representative from Michigan was barred from speaking indefinitely.  Her crime--during a debate on abortion, she said, "Frankly, Speaker, I'm flattered that you're so interested in my vagina, but 'no' means 'no'."
On, no!  She used the "V-word"!
OK, her comment was a little out of line.  However, I would chalk it up to banter.  And I would chalk up the reaction to a major slippery slope where the First Amendment is concerned.  Because, reading between the lines, the problem was not a breach in decorum, but an attempt to silence someone who disagrees with the majority.  And, if that happens, then we can no longer call ourselves a democracy of any sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not Monty Python. I hate SPAM.