Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Rabbis are not immortal!

Rav Elyashiv is in the hospital, apparently not doing well.
I'm sorry to hear that, I really am.  However, let's face facts for a moment.  The guy is, what, 101?  That would make him, according to secular parlance, "older than dirt." 
Last summer we lost another great rosh yeshiva, Rav Kopelman.  He was 106.  The deaths of Rav Kopelman and Rav Frankel apparently brought down the level of kedusha in the world to a point where an eight-year-old boy could be murdered by a fellow Jew .  Okay, but getting back to planet reality for a moment.  I don't care if you are a rosh yeshiva or a trash collector.  When you enter your second century, you are OLD!!!  Really, really OLD!!!!  And your body will stop working the way it did.  And it's OK!  Really!  Because G-d made human beings with an expiration date!  And even rabbis will have it.
So, yes, if Rav Elyashiv should not happen to recover, I will feel sad.  But I will not regard it as a great tragedy.  Because he lived a good, long life.  He will have died at the age of a hundred and something--which is more than most people do.  And he will be called home to be with Hashem.  So, really, it's not a tragedy, just a completion of the natural order of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm not Monty Python. I hate SPAM.